Termas romanas

The Roman baths of Lugo are the remains of the old Roman spa located on the banks of the river Miño, near the old Roman bridge. Declared a Historic-Artistic Monument in 1931, today the ancient Roman baths form part of the facilities of the Hotel Balneario de Lugo. The construction of these baths dates back to the foundation of the city, around 15 BC.

The installation of thermal baths and spas was essential in ancient Rome, which is why they were opened at the same time as the city of Lucus Augusti was founded. They received water from a thermal spring with mineral-medicinal properties, with sulphuro-sodic and carbonated waters that gushed out at 43.8ºC. These waters are still exploited today in the Hotel Balneario de Lugo.

The apodycterium, the name given to the changing rooms, is the best preserved part. This place to undress consists of a large room with a floor made of opus signinum, a commonly used material composed of tile and brick with lime. At the back of the room are two arched doorways leading to various rooms, including a wall with eighteen niches used as cupboards to store clothing and personal belongings.

Another of the areas that can be visited is the vaulted former bathing room. There were three distinct areas: the frigidarium, for cold baths; the tepidarium, for warm baths; and the caldarium, for hot baths. In later times this room was converted into a Christian chapel.

Article obtained from Wikipedia article Wikipedia in his version of 25/04/2022, by various authors under the license Licencia de Documentación Libre GNU.