Puente romano

The Roman bridge of Lugo, also known as the Old Bridge, is a bridge of Roman origin that has undergone numerous reconstructions during the 12th, 14th and 18th centuries. It is built in ashlar and schist, and has metal beams. It is 104 m long and 4 m wide, and crosses the river Miño as it passes through the southwest of the city of Lugo, joining the Calzada da Ponte with the old road to Santiago, the latter being the backbone of the Lugo district of San Lázaro. It is located very close to the thermal spa, which also dates back to Roman times.

It is a bridge designed and built at the time of the Romanisation of Galicia, which made use of route number XIX of the Antonine Itinerary, connecting Lucus Augusti with Bracara Augusta (today's Braga) passing through Iria Flavia (today's town of Padrón). The reason for its construction was the need to cross the river Minho.

Centuries later, in the late Middle Ages, it underwent significant restoration work due to its poor condition and the new transport needs of the time. In the Modern Age, repairs had to be carried out once again, and finally, in 1893, its appearance was definitively modified, with the removal of several elements. However, the foundations of today's bridge are largely the same as the original ones.

Due to the construction of a new bridge in 2009, the Roman bridge of Lugo was restored and made available for pedestrian use. During the restoration process, the metal footbridges were removed and the asphalt was removed from the road surface, trying to make it as similar as possible to how it was in Roman times.

Article obtained from Wikipedia article Wikipedia in his version of 25/04/2022, by various authors under the license Licencia de Documentación Libre GNU.