The Parc de la Ciutadella is located in the Ciutat Vella district. For many years it was the only public park in Barcelona. It was laid out on the former grounds of the Citadel fortress - hence its name - in the image and likeness of the Luxembourg garden in Paris.
It was designed by José Fontseré and inaugurated in 1881. A few years later, in 1888, it hosted the Barcelona Universal Exhibition.
It is bounded by four main roads: Passeig de Pujades, Passeig de Picasso, Passeig de Circunvalación and Carrer de Wellington. It has ten entrances and covers an area of 17.42 hectares (31 with the Barcelona Zoo). It is the largest urban park in Barcelona after Montjuic.
The Monumental Waterfall was built between 1875 and 1888 with a general design by José Fontseré, while the hydraulic project was by Antoni Gaudí. The architectural ensemble has a central structure in the form of a triumphal arch with two pavilions on its sides and two lateral wings with staircases, which house a pond divided into two levels. The monument stands out for its profusion of sculptures, in which several of the best sculptors of the time took part: the wrought iron sculptural group La Cuadriga de la Aurora, by Rossend Nobas, and El nacimiento de Venus, by Venancio Vallmitjana, stand out; the pediment is the work of Francisco Pagés Serratosa. Other sculptures include: Amphitrite, by Josep Gamot; Neptune and Leda, by Manuel Fuxá; and Danae, by Joan Flotats. Rafael Atché also made the four taps that spout water from the mouth at the bottom of the monument.
The park has ten entrances, including two monumental gates, one located on Passeig de Pujades and the other on Passeig de Picasso. They were designed by Josep Fontserè, although they are usually attributed to Antoni Gaudí, Fontserè's assistant at the time.
The music roundabout is located in front of the Monumental Waterfall. The main element is a kiosk where the municipal band used to be located, a work by Antoni Maria Gallissà built in 1884.
Aún no hay comentarios.