The cloister is a square with a floor plan that is 34 meters on each side. It was built between 1521 and 1590, initially following drawings by architects Juan de lava and Juan Gil de Hontaón, and later on Gaspar de Arce. It was designed using elements from the Gothic and Renaissance periods and features a pinnacled openwork balustrade. The historic cloisters typically have tombs of people with connections to the cathedral. The Alba chapel was constructed on the northern side of the church around 1530, and it currently displays an 18th-century altarpiece depicting the Transfiguration of Jesus. The Berenguela tower's original bells can be found in a nook of the cloister.
The Codex Calixtinus of the Liber Sancti Iacobi,N 5 and other books and documents pertaining to the cathedral and the history of Galicia from the Middle Ages to the present day can be found in the cathedral's Archive-Library, which can be accessed from the cloister. The Chapter House was constructed by Lucas Ferro Caaveiro.
Aún no hay comentarios.