A church that had already existed in 1511 and for which an ashlar stone bearing the date "1503" has survived was replaced by the church of San Antonio Abad in 1525 in the Spanish town of El Toboso, province of Toledo.
The building's first phase of construction was handled by master mason Juanes de Santiago, whose work may have been concentrated on the most primitive section, the center body of the naves, which stylistically conforms to the late Gothic or "Elizabethan Gothic" style. The temple was afterwards worked on by the skilled stonemasons Miguel de Verduraza, Azcutia, and Martn de Atuy de Leturiondo.
It's interesting to note that Miguel de Cervantes mentions this church in Don Quixote. More specifically, he does so in chapter IX of the second part, where he writes: "Don Quixote led the way, and having walked two hundred paces, he came upon the bulk that made the shadow, and saw a great tower, and then learned that the building was not a fortress, but the main church of the town. We have reached the church, Sancho, he continued.
The huge church has a hall-style layout with three naves of three bays, each of which is covered by a ribbed vault embellished with tercelets. Strong cylindrical columns with molded bases support the vaults.
This part, along with the small rectangular body of the chancel, were constructed in the 17th century and are examples of Renaissance architecture. The transept, which does not protrude to the outside, is formed by the extension of the naves, which are divided into three spaces. The central space is covered by a hemispherical vault, and the lateral ones are by vaults decorated with plaster mouldings.
The side chapels are also from the 17th century; the Chapel of the Rosary, which is protected by a groin vault, is located adjacent to the south nave, and the Chapels of the Morales de Nieva and Dolores are on the north side. The sacristy, located in the Epistle nave and connected to the Chapel of the Rosary, was completed in 1610, immediately after these chapels.
The raised choir is located at the base of the building. Its foundation is composed of ribs like those of the naves, which were never finished. The roof chosen to replace what might have been is an alfarje made of wood with braces but no ornamentation.
All of the structural components, including the columns, bases, ribs, and arches, are formed of ashlars of exposed stone, while the walls are painted white.
Due to the limited number of openings—which are often small and spaced out along the various walls—the inside is poorly lit.
The structure is free-standing on all of its outside façades, although the Plaza de Juan Carlos I provides the best view. Ashlar-built buttresses all around it give it a pronounced air of grandeur and monumentality. For the rest of the walls, masonry is employed instead of ashlars. On the south façade, the main gateway was constructed in 1618. It is protected by a sizable portico with a pilastered semicircular arch. Similar to Mannerist altarpieces in structure, this entryway is divided into two levels or portions, with a semicircular arch in the lower section supported by four Doric columns on high bases and two empty niches between them. A triangular pediment and a niche housing the statue of the Immaculate Conception may be found in the southern section of the structure. Pyramids with balls on top are located on both sides. A big rectangular window is intact on this façade, topped by a pediment with balls at the corners.
The Cross of Santiago is kept inside a blinded entryway with a triangular pediment that is still there on the north façade.
On the west façade, there is an additional doorway constructed, concealed beneath a portico with a distinctly Renaissance barrel vault. Two pieces make up this portico: the first is a moulded semicircular arch with a wooden door and cast-iron nails, framed by paired pilasters on a continuous base, and has an architraved entablature. The church's patron saint, San Antonio Abad, is depicted in a little niche in the upper section, where he is defended by two flambeaux.
The tower, which has a square form and substantial dimensions, is located next to the façade on the south façade. It was constructed in the sixteenth century and is divided into three portions by a row of imposts. The first was a masonry structure constructed in 1552 in the Plateresque design. It features a flared window with gallons on its south side. The building of the remaining two portions, which have Herrerian typology and are composed of ashlar masonry, was completed later. Its openings feature cushioned semicircular arches. A stone balustrade with balls on top surrounds the tower.
Aún no hay comentarios.