The Royal Monastery of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción de la Cartuja housed a community of Carthusian monks from its foundation in the 16th century until its exclaustration in 1835. Although it is a mixture of different styles, it represents one of the summits of Spanish Baroque architecture.
It is currently considered an Asset of Cultural Interest and was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument belonging to the National Artistic Treasure by decree of 3 June 1931.
It arose from a decision taken in 1458 by the community of the monastery of Santa María de El Paular and construction began in 1506 once its location had been fixed, following the cession of some land by the Gran Capitán, Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba. The current site does not correspond to the land ceded by the Gran Capitán, and so the latter abandoned the project.2 In 1516, work began again, which was to last for three centuries without finishing the initial project, and of which only part remains, because in 1842 the cloister and the monks' cells were destroyed, affecting the priory house, which was totally destroyed in 1943. It was inhabited until 1835, when the monks were expelled from it. Its construction lasted from the 16th to the 19th century.
Exuberantly decorated, its most famous spaces are the church, the sacristy, by an unknown artist, and the tabernacle, which is the work of the master Francisco Hurtado Izquierdo and has an impressive dome painted by Antonio Palomino. The building houses an important collection of paintings, including those by the Carthusian Juan Sánchez Cotán.Article obtained from Wikipedia article Wikipedia in his version of 08/08/2022, by various authors under the license Licencia de Documentación Libre GNU.