Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes

The National Museum of Fine Arts, located in Buenos Aires, is one of the main art institutions in Argentina. It has a varied collection of more than 12,000 works, including paintings, sculptures, drawings, engravings, textiles and objects. Its collection includes pre-Columbian, colonial, Argentine and international art, from the 3rd century BC to the present. The museum attracts a wide public of diverse ages and social origins, both national and international.

Part of its collection is exhibited at the Museo de Bellas Artes (MNBA Neuquén) in the city of Neuquén, Patagonia, Argentina.

The National Museum of Fine Arts of the Argentine Republic was created in 1895 by decree of President José Evaristo Uriburu. This foundation coincided with the emergence of several important cultural entities in the country, which are still in operation. Eduardo Schiaffino, its first director, was an artist, critic and the first Argentine art historian. Schiaffino, who was also the founder of the Sociedad Estímulo de Bellas Artes in 1876 and the Ateneo in 1893, promoted the creation of the museum, projecting an institution that would allow an encyclopedic reading of art history, following the model of contemporary European and North American museums.

The first donations to the museum were the collections of Adriano Rossi and José Prudencio de Guerrico. The MNBA opened its doors on December 25, 1896 with 163 works, in the Bon Marché building on Florida Street, today Galerías Pacífico. Although this building was a department store, it also housed cultural spaces such as the Ateneo and artists' ateliers.

From its inception, the MNBA emerged as an eclectic museum, expanding its collection through significant acquisitions and donations. In 1907, it purchased a work by Auguste Renoir with public funds, in the same year that the Metropolitan Museum of Art acquired its first Renoir. The French, Italian and Spanish schools are the most represented in his collection.

At the beginning of the 20th century, Schiaffino reorganized the museum's curatorial script according to artistic genres. In 1904, he organized the Argentine section of Fine Arts at the St. Louis Universal Exposition, promoting national art abroad. In 1906, Schiaffino traveled to Europe to acquire works and established contacts with collectors and artists.

In 1909, the MNBA moved from its original headquarters at the Bon Marché to the Plaza San Martín, occupying the Argentine Pavilion, built in iron and glass for the Paris Universal Exposition of 1889. Schiaffino distributed the works chronologically and by donations from collectors. In 1910, Carlos Zuberbühler succeeded Schiaffino as director.

Cupertino del Campo was director between 1911 and 1931, promoting the creation of the Salón Nacional de Bellas Artes. Atilio Chiáppori assumed the directorship in 1931, founding the Asociación Amigos del Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes. During his tenure, the museum moved to its definitive headquarters in the old Casa de Bombas de Recoleta, remodeled by architect Alejandro Bustillo.

The Casa de Bombas building, remodeled by Alejandro Bustillo, was inaugurated in 1932. This building offered an austere and functional design, with rooms conducive to the contemplation of the works. Chiáppori organized the collection according to chronological and thematic criteria, with a rotation of works every three to six months.

In 1938, the museum received a donation from the Guerrico family, a significant collection of Spanish, Italian, Flemish and French works. In 1942, the museum library was opened to the public. Between 1941 and 1944, Domingo Viau directed the museum, followed by Augusto Da Rocha and then Juan Zocchi until 1955.

Under the direction of Enrique de Larrañaga in the 1950s, the National School of Fine Arts "Prilidiano Pueyrredón" was founded. Jorge Romero Brest assumed the direction in 1955, promoting the restoration and modernization of the museum, and promoting awards such as the Ver y Estimar and the Braque.

In 1960, an annex pavilion was inaugurated for the exhibition 150 Years of Argentine Art, designed by César V. Janello. Samuel Oliver was interim director from 1963 to 1977, organizing important temporary exhibitions and extensions to the museum. Adolfo L. Ribera took over the directorship in 1977, inaugurating rooms dedicated to international art.

In the 1980s, Guillermo Whitelow made changes in the script of the galleries and organized outstanding exhibitions. In 1986, Daniel Martínez took over the direction, formalizing new administrative and technical structures. Jorge A. Lorenzutti's administration in 1989 was highlighted by exhibitions of French and Argentine art in Japan.

In 1992, Rafael Iglesia directed the museum, organizing exhibitions such as that of Alberto Greco. Jorge Glusberg focused his administration on the expansion of activities and free admission, promoting the MNBA-Neuquén in 2004.

Alberto Bellucci took over as interim director in 2003, promoting the reform of spaces and the redistribution of rooms. Guillermo Alonso was appointed executive director in 2007, inaugurating new rooms and acquiring important works. In 2011, the first floor rooms were remodeled, painting the walls with strong colors.

Marcela Cardillo was executive director until 2015, presenting exhibitions such as Pío Collivadino and Tekoporã. The museum received significant donations, including 200 photographs by Sara Facio. The management of Adolfo Luis Ribera and other directors over the years has allowed the MNBA to remain an institution of relevance in the Argentine cultural sphere.

Article obtained from Wikipedia article Wikipedia in his version of 21/07/2024, by various authors under the license Licencia de Documentación Libre GNU.

Comentarios

Aún no hay comentarios.

Deja tu comentario

Al enviar tu comentario, aceptas que se publique el nick y el mensaje. No se almacenan datos personales identificables.

Para mantener un entorno respetuoso, todos los comentarios son moderados antes de su publicación.